Since the roof is one of the most important parts of your house, it’s important to maintain it with regular roof health checks. Damage to your roof can be expensive to fix if left for an extended period, which is why repairs should be dealt with and addressed immediately.
The most common area of discussion regarding roof repair and replacement is the cost. It is the primary factor of concern for homeowners, but it’s important to remember that roof repairs are often much cheaper than replacing the roof in its entirety.
Cheap materials and roofing services should not be an option, especially if you are planning to replace your roof. Substandard materials pose a high risk – not only are they unsafe, but they may work out being more expensive in the long run.
When budgeting cost for your roofing needs, it is important to consider not only the type and quality of material to be used, but also consider the height of the roof to the ground, the location of your property, the style of the roof and, of course, labour costs involved with a new roof. Aside from that, think also about the style of your roof; if you have a bungalow, for example, you may spend less than a homeowner with a three-storey property with extensions and outhouses.
We’ve put together a rough estimation of the cost of roofing materials that are usually associated with repair and replacement of roofs. These materials are common in the United Kingdom, but costs can vary depending on supplier, location and inflation.
- Slate tiles – from £ 1.05 to £ 2.49 per tile
- Clay tiles – from £ 0.47 to £ 0.58 per tile
- Concrete tiles- from £ 0.58 to £ 1.47 per tile
- Timber cedar shingles- costs around £ 43.60, which covers at least 2.28 square meters
- PVC coated metal, copper or zinc – costs £ 8.85 per metre
As we’ve already discussed, it is important to factor in other costs and expenses associated with a new roof, such as labour payment and working permits.
Roof Repair Prices
- For roof repairs that last for one day or more – around £300 per day
- For roof repairs that last for half a day- around £150 to £200
- For broken or missing roof tiles- replacement per square meter will cost £345
- For leaking roof – repairs will cost £405
- For chimney rebuilding – around £2,100 to £2,680
- For gutter replacement – estimated value of £205
- For downpipe replacement- costs around £155
- For gutter and downpipe cleaning – costs an average of £200 to £560
Roof Repair Materials
Here are general approximations of roof repairs depending on the style of your roof.
- Terraced house- around £ 4,000, including materials and labour for a mid terrace house with a measurement of 55 square meters.
- 3-bedroom semi-detached property – with a measurement of 75 square meters, the cost would be around £5,000.
- 4-bedroom semi-detached property – with a roof area of 100 square meters, the average cost is around £7,000.
It’s important to note that these values are just rough estimations regarding roofer labour and may vary depending on your roofers. So, before you decide on the right roofing company to work on your job, it pays to do your research and find the best quality for your budget.
Choose a roofing company that had good customer feedback and reviews, and remember that, long-term, choosing an approved and recommended roofer may work out cheaper than a budget roofing company.